Tip 021 - Action Items
This one might come off as a bit of a rant, but it's true nonetheless. It goes like this: If you don't have an Action Item to do, nothing will get done. So, in my case, I try to do the following:
- Start each workday with at least one Action Item (if you don't have any, first off, good for you, second, make one up)
- Leave each meeting with at least one Action Item (please don't talk for an hour, get up to speed, and leave without everyone knowing EXACTLY what their next steps are)
- Display Action Items somewhere you can't get rid of them until they're done
- When documenting your Action Items for you, distill the information to what you need
- When documenting your Action Items for others, write down EVERYTHING (like, too much type everything)
Just go at everything with a purpose. A workday, a sprint, a project, whatever. Get yourself a black-n-white todo list.